Monday, August 5, 2013

Review: Thief by Tarryn Fisher

(Love Me With Lies series, book 3)
Note to Self

Love is patient; love is kind.
Love doesn’t boast or brag.
There’s no arrogance in love;
It’s never rude, crude, or indecent – it’s not self absorbed.
Love isn’t easily upset.
Love doesn’t tally wrongs.
Love trusts, hopes, and endures no matter what.
Love will never become obsolete.
I’ll fight for her.

Thief

Caleb Drake never got over his first love. Not when he got married. Not when she got married. When life suddenly comes full circle Caleb must decide how far he is willing to go to get the aloof and alluring Olivia Kaspen back. But for every action in life there is a consequence, and soon Caleb finds out that sometimes love comes at an unbearably high price.

* * * * * *  
It pains me to review this novel for a few reasons. The first being, I absolutely love Tarryn Fisher’s writing. Secondly, I was enthralled with this messed up love story after devouring the first two books. And lastly, I couldn’t wait to get inside Caleb’s head. Now…when you put those three things together, it should equal me shouting from the rooftops how much I loved the final book in the Love Me With Lies series. I should be content/upset/reeling that Olivia and Caleb’s story is over. But neither of those things happened. Instead, I had one those “Well…I guess that’s that” moments. And that bummed me out hard.

I know I’m in the minority with my opinion on this, and I soooo much wish I wasn’t. I didn’t hate it, I didn’t love it; I just kind of liked it. Being inside Caleb’s head was interesting, albeit a little predictable. Leah was just…well…Leah. She’s still crazy as ever, which added some much appreciated drama. And Olivia – le sigh. She annoyed me a little this go around. I know she’s always been very selfish, but I guess it took three books for it to finally slap me in the face. Her yo-yoing back and forth between Caleb and Noah started to grate on me to the point where I was thinking, do I even like this chick anymore? Do I really want Caleb to end up with her? Which brings me to my next point………..

The ending. I really hate to say it, but I was disappointed. It was just kind of anti-climactic, and that’s the last thing I expected from this series. I thought it would end with a bang, something that would make me think, Jesus, Mary and Joseph that was incredible!! Unfortunately, it just kind of fell flat for me.. *sad face* 


Tarryn’s writing is still top notch in this novel – not that I ever doubted it would be – and I did enjoy the overall story line. Please don’t let me deter you from reading the conclusion to this series, because like I said, the majority of people love it! Maybe I just set my expectations a little too high. This novel wasn’t bad by any means but it just wasn’t great either. 

The first two books in this series, The Opportunist and Dirty Red, were out of the park home runs. Thief was like a 4 pitch walk; you’ll take it because it’s not an out, but it’s not all that exciting. 


MY RATING: 3 STARS





Reviewed by:


No comments:

Post a Comment