Saturday, August 17, 2013

Review: Ruin by Rachel Van Dyken

 

I'm not your typical girl. I've been running away from the memories that haunt me for so long that depression has become my only comfort. I was content in the darkness...until Wes Michals offered to be my light.

I didn't know that time wasn't my ally -- that every second that ticked past was one step closer to the end of something that was beginning to mean the end of myself. He tried to warn me. He promised me all he was able to offer--each moment as it came--but it would never be enough.

Sometimes when you think it's the end, it's only the beginning. Wes thought he could save me, but in giving me everything, he ruined me. Because after one kiss, one touch, I couldn't--I wouldn't ever be the same.

And from that moment on, his heartbeat became my own.

AMAZON 
 

Review:

This was my reaction after just finishing the book:

I read a lot of books. I rant and rave about a lot of books. Lately, Nothing. Absolutely. NOTHING. has even come close to touching me the way Ruin did. It broke me down into little bitty pieces. I was grasping at every little moment Wes & Kiersten shared together. I cried enough to fill up a water balloon. Half the time I think I was just crying to cry (I loved them so much). It's one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. It made me feel desperate. Took my breath away. Bottom line, it made me feel. If I could recommend any book right now, this is it. I ADORED IT!

^I'm on a out of this world reading high right now, if you couldn't tell.

Way more than 5 stars.

----------------------

Ok, now to review…

Wow! I loved this book. I’m going to leave my initial reaction up there for you to read. It’s kind of funny to look back at it because I wrote it in the heat of the moment. Nothing is better than a reader’s initial reaction to a book. A reading high is the ultimate reward from a really good story! You know when you finish a book and you’re like… this is the best book ever. Incredible. I’m in love. Nothing will ever beat it. I can’t believe it’s over. Come on, just one more chapter!! *happy tears*??? Well that was me! I loved it.

"His eyes held my ruin.”


I was wringing my hands throughout the whole book. It was a very bittersweet ride to the ending. The dread alone had me reeling. I was going crazy, assuming the worst, and thinking that nothing in life is fair. I’m a little dramatic at times *blushes*. I even cried a few times when nothing particularly sad was going on. Just because I was preparing myself for what was to come. I imagined a hundred different brutal scenarios. Don’t laugh at me! I was emotional!

I highlighted SO much. There were a ton of wise quotes that I kept making mental notes to remember in my everyday life. This is a book that will make you appreciate what you have and want live every moment like it’s precious.

Don’t let all this emotional talk scare you off because there is plenty of witty banter to break up the emotional torture. Here’s a sample:

"And then the lamb tempts the wolf.” Wes said in a low tone.
“And Wolf rises above temptation.” I sang.
“Wolf loves temptation.”
“Wolf needs to watch the movie.”
“Lamb needs to stop talking before wolf silences her with his teeth.”


See? Funny stuff. Wes and Kiersten were such a sweet pair. I was head over heels in love with them from pretty much the beginning, so I was terrified of the possibility of an impending heartbreak.

I’m not going to spend too much time summing this one up. Read the synopsis and give it a go. I will tell you that Wes is sick. That’s all you’re getting from me though. You’ll feel love, desperation, and helplessness. You’ll feel like life’s not fair. You’ll jump for joy. YOU. WILL. CRY. And it’ll all be worth it, because this book is good for your heart & soul. It’s just good, great, wonderful, fantastic, terrific. It’s the most romantic, sexiest book that I’ve read that doesn’t have a single sex scene! It didn’t need one! I didn’t even notice that it didn’t have a sex scene until someone else pointed it out. I was so wrapped up in their relationship that ALL I needed was the emotional side of things. It was more than enough.

"I’ll tell you what…” His voice cracked. “I’ll give you as much time as I have.”


*tear* I want to give you more quotes, but I can’t give all the good stuff away!

My Rating: 5 Stars!!!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment