Monday, January 27, 2014

REVIEW: Raw by Belle Aurora

***Author Note: This is not a love story. This is a story of love gone wrong.***

Growing up the way I did, you’d think I’d be more screwed up than what I actually am.

Soon as I turned sixteen, I left that bump in the road I called home and took my chances on the street.

Best decision I ever made.

Now, at the age of twenty six, I’m educated, employed and damn good at my job.

My friends have become my family. Like me, they know what it’s like to grow up unloved.

But the saying is true.

The world makes way for those who know where they are going.

That’s me.

I know where I’m going and I’ll get there eventually. On my own terms and at my own pace.

But then there’s him.

I feel his eyes on me. I see him hiding in plain sight. He watches me.

He makes me feel.

It’s unconventional.

But it’s real.

I’m sure you’re wondering how a person falls in love with their stalker.

So am I.

This isn’t a story.

This is my life.



 I almost don’t even know what to say about this book. To put it simply – It wasn’t for me. At all.

Look, I saw the author’s note about this not being a love story. I saw reviews where readers made it very clear not to expect a HEA. I knew what I was getting into, so honestly, I blame no one but myself. I decided to read it anyway because every once in a while, I like to step outside of my comfort zone and read something different; something not so pretty. But this…this was just too ugly for me. As is with every review, this is strictly my opinion. (For some reason, I just feel the need to make that very clear for this particular review). It seems like most people were blown away by this book and I’m clearly in the minority, so by all means, if you have your heart set on reading it, please don’t let me discourage you. Just…prepare yourself, I guess.

I’m not going to go too deep into the plot because I know if I do, this will end up being a full-on rant and I’m trying to avoid that for the author’s sake and my own. Lexi has a stalker named Twitch. He watchers her all the time. In plain sight. The dude doesn’t even try to hide. He just stands there, wearing a black hoodie, and stares at her from a distance. Lexi knows she has a stalker – she feels him watching her. Hell, she sees him watching her for Heaven’s sake. Yet, she’s oddly cavalier about the entire situation…



She gives it up to him insanely fast and before you know it, she’s in love with him…



He constantly warns her that he’s going to hurt her, but she doesn’t listen. And then shit goes down. I don’t want to give away the ending, so I’ll just leave it at that.

Why exactly did I not enjoy this book? The main characters. Here’s the thing – I had no problem with Lexi, Pre-Twitch. It was the way she changed because of him that made her likability drop drastically to me. Her ability to easily overlook his actual profession just wasn’t believable knowing her family background and her profession! And what she does at the house party…no. Just NO. I don’t like when characters compromise their morals for someone, and to me, that’s what Lexi does after getting involved with Twitch. There were fleeting moments where she had a backbone and I thought she was really going to give him what he deserved. Needless to say, my hope was short-lived; she always let him manipulate her and she always forgave him.

Now…Twitch. I know he’s not a hero. He’s not supposed to be. I get that! And for that very reason, I probably should never have picked up this book. There was nothing redeeming about him in my eyes. First of all, his reason for wanting to initially hurt Lexi was ridiculous. I mean…come on. He decides to track her down, stalk her like it’s his job, all because of that?! *shaking my head* Secondly, I wanted to rip his heart right out of his chest when I hit 82%. I didn’t think it was possible to dislike him more than I already did, but what he did to Lexi…that’s unforgivable in my book. It’s disgusting. It’s beyond fucked up. It made me hate him. Honestly, I contemplated not finishing at that point. That’s how pissed off I was. But it takes a lot for me to label a book as a DNF, and since I had less than 20% left, I trudged through it. (I will admit, I started skimming around this point.)

Oh, and I just have to touch on Lexi’s best friends. I was just kind of confused as to why they were so lackadaisical when they found out she not only HAD a stalker, but decided to have sex with him and fall in love with him. I mean…what? They just said they trusted Lexi’s judgment and asked for sex details. Again…what?! A friend in their right mind would put an end to that shit real quick, or you know, call the cops and report Sir Creeps A Lot. Those are things your best friends do; they are more concerned with your well-being than how big said stalker’s dick is. I digress. Clearly I wasn’t a fan of the best friends either.

I didn’t really care for the almost insta-love Lexi felt for Twitch (nor did I understand it), and I didn’t like her complete nonchalance about waking up to find her stalker in her apartment, in her room, and in her freaking bed! I just…I didn’t like their relationship. I do commend the author for writing a book like this, because I’ll be honest, that takes some balls. I wish I could say I was one of the people who had her world rocked by Lexi and Twitch, but I wasn’t. I don’t think my world shook even a little bit.

Like I said, please don’t let this discourage you from reading this book. Different strokes for different folks, and all that jazz! However, I will give a few words of warning: if you like your stories to have a HEA, I would stay far, far away from this novel. And if you’re like me and ignore all the warning signs that made it very clear I probably shouldn’t read this book…well…I’ll be here to hold your hand afterwards. 

MY RATING: 2 STARS

Buy Links: Kindle I Paperback (not available)




Reviewed by:

No comments:

Post a Comment