Sunday, January 26, 2014

REVIEW: The Fine Line by Alicia Kobishop


18692720High school senior Liv Evans has one rule: No attachments. She’s lost enough in her life and has vowed to do whatever it takes to make sure she never again feels the emptiness of losing someone she loves. Boys are a fun distraction, but a serious relationship is something she’d rather live without. Her determination for a future free of pain and heartbreak is put to the test when she meets–and quickly forms an unexpected bond–with Logan Tanner.

Logan has always been a free spirit, but ever since a life-changing event took place, which left him doubting the integrity of those who are closest to him, he’s taken that term to a whole new dangerous level. Learning the hard way that life is too short for worries or work–and that women can’t be trusted–Logan has exchanged steady work for street racing. When Liv walks into his world, everything he thought he knew about life and women is challenged.

In The Fine Line, Liv and Logan will discover if it’s possible for true love to have a future, or if history is destined to repeat itself.


BUY: Kindle  I  Paperback
...

"There are no happy endings, Logan. Someone always gets hurt. It's inevitable." I fought the lump in my throat with an artificial smile. "The only way to prevent the hurt... is by not starting. It can't end if it doesn't start, right?"
Drama, naivety, and young love fueled this storyline. If I could put it on a shelf with other books that  are somewhat similar, I'd put it beside Fallen Crest High or Bully. The main character, Liv was 18 and Logan was 20 (I think), but Liv had very little  experience in the relationship department, so she was a bit naïve and stubborn. Her outlook on relationships was skewed by her mother, a serial dater. Every relationship her mother had, ended. Some tragically. Liv was scarred from all that and swore off love. After all, if she didn't let herself fall in love then she couldn't be heartbroken.

For me, this was a great book because I love all the drama that young love brings. Liv was a bit frustrating at times, and, yes, some of their behavior may have been a bit immature, but it all fit in with their age. I'd say this straddles the Mature YA/NA line, but has more of a Mature YA feel. I hate putting books into  specific corners because I think it's hard to do, but that's where I'd put it if I had to.
"People aren't always rational when they are in love, sweetheart."
The whole book surrounded the blooming romance between Liv and Logan. The problem was-- Liv wouldn't admit she loved Logan. She played the "lets just be friends" card for a huge portion of the book. She was so afraid of screwing up her friendship with Logan that she wouldn't let herself give in to her feelings. She pushed him so far away at times that they both ended up dating other people even though neither of them really wanted to.  I thought the author did a really good job explaining why Liv felt the way she did, so it didn't annoy me that she was so indecisive.  I understood it, but I can see how some people might get a little frustrated with her.  I didn't think she was a weak heroine, but she was naïve, confused, scared, damaged...  She stood her ground and seemed to know who she was, but she protected herself and her feelings.

Logan was a GREAT male character. Really into cars. Daredevil. Ladies man. Flirt. But when it came to Liv, he was all in. He tried to be so patient with her throughout the whole book. He tried to play by her rules, but he was falling hard. I really liked him. I thought he was funny and intense.  He made my heart go pitter-patter more than once (and made me feel a little nauseous towards the end).  If you like the younger romances, I think this one is for you. If you are more into contemporary romance then this might be a little too much for you. I LOVED all the drama. Seriously, give me some fighting and flirting and I'm happy!!! This was a wonderful debut novel, and I can't wait to read more from this author.

4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment