Thursday, January 16, 2014

Book Review: Lost & Found (Emi Lost & Found #1) by Lori Otto

  
"Like ya, Nate."
"Like ya, Em"
I have reviewer's block.  I literally just finished, and I just don't even know what to say! I want to scream. Loud! I want to read book 2 (it's probably going to keep me up all night), but I promised myself that I would try to review all my books before I start another. I'm dying over here! So, in case you didn't pick up on this yet, it's a cliffhanger! It's all good though because Time Stands Still (Emi Lost & Found #2) is out, and you can dive right in!

Hmm... so how can I sum this up? I went into this book completely blind. I had no idea what I was in for, but I had heard "It's emotional, but it'll put you back together in the end."  So... This book is about two best friends that have thoroughly friend-zoned themselves for many years. The first chapter is told in Emi's POV, so I knew right away that Emi had it bad for Nate. Nate was a little more complicated though. I wasn't sure what he wanted for much of the book. He was a little a lot frustrating at times.  Total playboy. The rest of the book is told through his POV, which kind of surprised me! I was expecting alternating POV's after the first couple of chapters, but was pleasantly surprised when I kept reading and it was all Nate.  I think I needed to see it from his POV so that I could get him, love him, and cherish him with Emi (even though he was pretty boneheaded at times).

"I'm not a placeholder, Nate. I'm not the bookmark that waits for the next chapter of your life to come along. I'm a human being. I thought I was your friend."

There were a few places in the book in which I was completely furious with Nate!! I decided that maybe they just shouldn't be together at one point. Nate was right in saying that Emi deserved better. She deserved for him to be better for her on multiple occasions. This is definitely a different kind of romance. Both characters have other relationships in the book. For much of the book Emi and Nate are just friends.

"I don't want to be the girl in the periphery. I want to be the one you always see."
 
Needless to say, if you are a reader that likes instant gratification, this may not be the read for you. However, if you are like me and you relish slow, character building romances, this book was made for you! When I say 'slow' I don't mean that the book was slow -- for me anyway.  I couldn't stop reading this one, and when I had to take a break, it was still on my mind.  The way I see it -- the more build up, the more intense in the end. And it got better for both Nate and Emi in the end. So much better. All those little moments that broke my heart made everything so much sweeter. This next quote sums up my biggest fear though!
 
"Everything was too easy. It's too perfect. Everything just coming together like this? Can you believe it?"

No I couldn't believe it!! I was scared -- just like Emi. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. I was just hoping it wasn't a very heavy shoe. That ending has left me feeling like it's going to be a pretty heavy shoe though. I can't be sure because I won't know until I start book two. I've been wallowing in my own misery through this whole review while sipping on my rum and coke. Yep, the stress made me skip the wine and jump straight to the liquor. I need to wrap this review up so I can dive into book two (before I lose my mind).

P.S. I  loved this book and am so, so impressed with the writing. It's slow to build but incredibly engaging. I can't wait to finish the series!
 
 
5 Stars
 

...
Other books in the series
 
Not Today, But Someday (Emi Lost & Found #0.5)
 
Time Stands Still (Emi Lost & Found #2)
 
Never Look Back (Emi Lost & Found #3)
 
 
Reading order -- I haven't read the novella yet. It wasn't released before book 1, so I decided to read it after I finish the series. I had several different recommendations as far as the reading order goes (from multiple readers). It's up to you. Opinions seem to be mixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment