Friday, December 27, 2013

REVIEW: Quintessentially Q by Pepper Winters

(Monsters in the Dark series, book 2)
“All my life, I battled with the knowledge I was twisted… fucked up to want something so deliciously dark—wrong on so many levels. But then slave fifty-eight entered my world. Hissing, fighting, with a core of iron, she showed me an existence where two wrongs make a right."


Tess is Q’s completely. Q is Tess’s irrevocably. But now, they must learn the boundaries of their unconventional relationship, while Tess seeks vengeance on the men who sold her. Q made a blood-oath to deliver their corpses at Tess’s feet, and that’s just what he’ll do.

He may be a monster, but he’s Tess’s monster.





I finished this novel and my exact words were, "Holy fucking shit, that was…" That’s it. I just started shaking my head because I couldn’t finish my own sentence. I couldn’t even find a word to describe it. Not one tiny, little word. After about 12 hours of giving my mind time to process every emotion that had wreaked havoc on me throughout this novel, I was finally able to sit down a write a review. I don’t know how competent it will be, but at least I can finish sentences now. That has to count for something, right?

First and foremost, there needs to be a warning associated with this book that simply states: “You will need alcohol while reading this. Lots…and lots…of alcohol.” Take my advice for what it is, but I am not kidding when I say I actually paused my reading to go pour myself a drink. Okay, fine, more like three drinks. You get the point.


Second of all, this review is not going to contain any plot information. I simply can’t do it, because it will completely ruin the experience for anyone who hasn’t read it yet. I think it says something to the plot when the author leaves the synopsis up in the air; it doesn’t really give you any direction in which this story is going to take you. After finishing this novel, I not only understand why Pepper did it, but I appreciate her for it. Well, maybe.

Tears of Tess was dark, so I thought I was prepared for Quintessentially Q. I was wrong. So incredibly, unequivocally, 100 percent wrong. This book broke me. It made my insides churn. It killed me, piece by piece. I literally cannot describe to you how much this book made me just plain feel. Just when I’d think my emotions were shot to shit, Pepper threw another grenade and wrecked me all over again.  I wish I could show y’all just how much this story got under my skin, but if I tried, I’d be sitting here all day; and who knows if I’d actually even accomplish my goal.

With a dual POV rotating between Tess and Q, we finally get to dive into the tortuous mind of Tess’s monster in the dark. I fell in love with Q towards the end of Tears of Tess, but those feelings were unparalleled to how this novel made me feel about him. He is without a doubt one of my favorite damaged male characters. His complete devotion to Tess showed him in a different light, and makes the reader see just how much she has taken over everything in his life. The lengths he goes to for her are slightly terrifying, and yet disturbingly romantic. Yes, that is possible, people!



Honestly, I could talk about this book for fucking days, but instead of rambling on like some crazed fangirl (for the record, I’m not saying I’m not fangirling like a mother fucker) I guess I’ll bring this bad boy home. This book brought me to the brink of emotional wreckage, time after time, and then pieced me back together with some of the most brilliant writing and story-weaving I have ever experienced in all my years of reading. I’m not exaggerating. Quintessentially Q showed me darkness and light in ways I could never have imagined, and it completely consumed me from page one. Tess and Q’s story is a perfect example of love conquering all, in a beautifully tragic way. 

MY RATING: 5 STARS





Reviewed by:


No comments:

Post a Comment