Wednesday, November 13, 2013

REVIEW: A is for Alpha Male by Laurel Ulen Curtis



18217333
I’m Haley Whitfield, and I recently had the ingenious idea to enlist my mother, Allison, as my kick*ss sidekick and set out on a road trip.

This road trip wasn’t to be just any road trip, but a very special one indeed. An adventure with an acutely specific purpose-- to find our other halves. The peanut butter to our jelly. The i to our Phone. The stripper to our pole.

If our romantic desires were a personal ad, they would read something like this.

** Two sassy women (Ages twenty-seven and forty-nine respectively--Ouch. Okay, ages twenty-seven and thirty--with nineteen years experience-- respectively) seeking Alpha Males to love us with zeal and kiss us with skill. Gorgeous face and sexy, tattooed, hard body a must. If you aren’t a dangerous bad*ss with the x-rated skills and virility to match, don’t bother. Must be willing to protect us from danger, value our quirkiness, and keep your mouth shut when said quirkiness is what leads to said danger. Momma’s boys named Dan Smith need not apply.**

I know. It’s a bit wordy. In fact, it would probably cost a fortune. Luckily, we’re not ready for the personal ad. We’re not that desperate...yet.

This is my story.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18217333-a-is-for-alpha-male
 
 

REVIEW

Think Gilmore Girls meet Kristen Ashley. That’s the vibe I got from this book. AND Guess what?! I love the Gilmore Girls and Kristen Ashley, so this was a perfect read for me. I thought it was extremely witty and clever. This is in no way a “rip off” Kristen Ashley novel. It totally stands on its own and has its own feel. Kristen Ashley comes into play because our leading ladies (mom and daughter) are avid Kristen Ashley readers. Turns out, their love life has been nose diving for quite a while, so they want to know where all the Kristen Ashley Alpha Males are?!? For real. Where are they? I’m a huge Kristen Ashley fan myself (I’ve read almost all her books!!), and I’ve asked myself numerous times… WHY DON’T I LIVE IN DENVER? In fact, I’m almost positive if you look back on my reviews of her books, I’ve said more than once, “That’s it, I’m moving to Denver!” These ladies have the same idea! The only thing that relates back to Kristen Ashley is the references to the characters in her books. For example: They are looking for their beautifully damage Joe Callahan (aren’t we all)!!

The storyline revolves around Haley and Allison’s road trip to find their Alpha Males! They make a list and they are determined to find men that fit the qualities on that list. I laughed out loud so many times. I loved Allison and Haley. Some of the silly things they did totally reminded me of myself (I have a flare for the fake dramatics too). I just loved their personalities. One other thing that I thought was spot on in the book was Laurel’s (the author’s) reasoning for why we love Kristen Ashley’s men so much. Basically, she says these guys love their women as is. They don’t want them to change; they just enhance them. Plus, these guys KNOW that the girl is who they want (no BS) and they will do ANYTHING to keep them. I thought that was a very accurate analysis.

Anyways, can you really make a list and find the perfect guy that meets all the qualities on the list? Or is there a guy that can mold himself to fit the list? MMM… you’ll have to read on to meet Haley’s love interest to find out. The banter and dialogue are wonderful. You get lots of sexy towards the 80%ish part of the book and on. Lots of laughs. It’s a pretty light, fun read. The writing is very fluid and addicting. Oh, oh, oh…there’s a BIG twist at the end! I just really liked it!!! It's a must read for all the KA fans out there. Lovely tribute to a cool woman. Gotta love KA!


“I thought it was probably best if I didn't go snooping around Wade's room uninvited. These days I would probably find all sorts of whips and chains and ball gags.

 
And then when I put those down and stopped playing with them, I would probably find something that made me really uncomfortable."



MY RATING: 4.5 Stars!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment