Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Review: Butterfly Weeds by Laura Miller

 

  


Julia Lang expected a nice night away from the office–free of thoughts about the case, her failed engagement, her past. But she should have known better. Her past haunted her every chance it got these days, and tonight it came in the form of lyrics she never expected to hear again–not after a decade, not in the arms of another man and definitely not in the form of a confession. Now, Julia must discover for herself if the song–and more importantly, the man behind it–is enough to leave her new life for her small-town, Missouri roots and a second chance at love. 

 
 
 
 
 
  
 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15789177-butterfly-weeds?from_search=true
 
 
Note from Erica: I actually just finished reading My Butterfly (bk2), but I can't post that review without letting you see this one first! I read this book last year and it's still one of my top favorites. Absolutely stunning book. Plus, it's a clean read. You can hand this one off to your daughters (if you have any). :)
 
 
REVIEW:

Julia and Will share one of the most heartfelt love stories I've ever read about. This story touched my heart in all the right places!
 
Once I stop crying I'm going to write this book a review.

....Unfortunately, I can't stop crying so I guess I'm going to have to write through the tears.

Beautiful. 
 
"I let life get in the way of us only to realize that I didn't really have a life without you in it"
 


This story was completely and utterly beautiful. It had my heart from the beginning. I fell completely in love with Will. He is without a doubt the most incredible male character I've read about in a long time. I'm not sure what makes him different, but somehow he was just real. His emotions were so raw. Even though the story is told from Jules' perspective, I still felt more connected with Will. It was written so well. I can't think of a single book I've read that I've ever been able to connect to a character that was essentially in the background more than I could the main character. Beautiful writing.

....anyway, in the beginning, you read about this unbelievable love while Will and Jules are in high school (but they've known each other since they were little). Will is the boy that teases Julia and asks her out everyday from the moment they meet. She never took him seriously, but when she did...that love ignited. When Jules goes off to college, the slow, painful torture begins. I thought the torture was never going to end, yet I was still glued to the pages.

I think I grieved during this book. I went through all sorts of emotions anger, denial, pain...but it was all worth it because it turns into complete bliss. BLISS!

"She always used to say that the past is a relentless parasite in its quest, feeding off of the senses, looking for anything that will trigger a memory-forever there to complicate the present, forever there to remind us that it will always be a piece of us."



I'm at a loss for how to describe how beautiful this story of love was...I spent the entire time I was reading the Epilogue blubbering like a baby I was crying so much. The epilogue was painfully, so painfully beautiful.

I'm not sure how many times I've said the word beautiful during this review, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't enough.

"I believe that there is a perfect someone for everyone, and I know that you still believe that too. There is a perfect someone, even if the road to that someone isn't all that perfect."


I WILL NEVER THINK OF A BUTTERFLY THE SAME WAY AGAIN. EVER.
 
 RATING: 5 Stars
 


No comments:

Post a Comment