Wednesday, February 26, 2014

REVIEW: Taking Something by Elizabeth Lee

(Give Me Something, book 2)
I know what you’re thinking. “You were such a jerk, Nick!” Believe me, I know I screwed up the best thing I had going in my life, but that was kind of my thing. I’d learned how to run cons before I could even form complete sentences, and I’d always been selfish. But I changed. Lila forgave me, my brother and I were getting along, and I was trying to make a name for myself in the music world.

At least that was what I was trying to do when I negotiated my way into the recording studio with pop superstar Sadie Sinclair. I thought it would be a piece of cake—charm my way into her heart and into her record label’s good graces.


Just when I thought I had it all figured out, I got mixed up in a web of lies, manipulation, and deception. A web that had me questioning my motives and desires altogether.


Was the fame and fortune really worth the price?






If you had asked me to describe Nick in one word after finishing Give Me Something, I wouldn’t have even faltered – Asshole. Nick Dammery was a Grade A asshole. So, when I found out Elizabeth was not only giving Nick his own story, but a story that would bring him to redemption, I was thinking “This girl has lost her marbles!” No way. She is not going to make me change my mind about him. Not gonna happen, Elizabeth – not gonna happen.


Cut to me eating a nice, big piece of crow-berry pie.

Somehow, someway, Elizabeth didn’t just redeem Nick in my eyes; she found a way to make me root for him, and maaaybe fall just a little bit in love with him, too.


Taking Something throws you alongside Nick as he chases his dream of making it big as a producer in the music business. When he charms his way into producing pop music’s biggest diva, Sadie Sinclair’s next album, he thinks he has it made in the shade. He’ll use his incredibly good looks and panty-dropping charm that made his career as a con artist so successful. Sadie will be eating out of the palm of his hand, he’ll make a name for himself, and spend his days living the high life. But when you throw in Sadie’s assistant, Gia Greyson, the future Nick has always pictured doesn’t seem so clear anymore. Now, Nick has to choose – keep his career and everything he has worked so hard for, or do something he’s never done before…throw it all away for love.


This storyline was remarkable, and Elizabeth’s writing blew me away. She continually takes leaps and bounds forward with each novel she releases, and this one is by far her best work. The character progression of Nick didn’t feel rushed or forced, it felt very real. While there is a love triangle, it’s not a typical one. It’s very clear who Nick has real feelings for, and who he is just using to get ahead so I never felt the tug-of-war effect that love triangles usually have on me. Gia was like a breath of fresh air in a world full of sharks, and Sadie Sinclair is the biggest shark in the sea. She is the stereotypical child star turned pop icon, and lord have mercy is she a DIVA! Whew. There were times I would almost start to feel bad for her, but then a plot twist would make me recoil back and want to slap the pretty right off of her face!


I loved that Tucker and Lila were both involved in this novel, and as Nick’s only family, I’m not sure how Elizabeth could have written this story without them. Tucker will always be one of my favorite book boyfriends, and I loved getting another dose of Lila sass. Along with these two love birds, we get a cameo from country superstars Kylie Ryans and Trace Corbin, and are introduced to R&B superstar, Landry Westwood. Psssst, Elizabeth – Landry needs his own story. That is all. K, thanks, bye.

Taking Something is a fun, witty, journey of redemption, love, and discovering just what is really important in life. I never thought I’d say it, but I’m glad Nick got his happily ever after and I couldn’t have picked a better leading lady to tame this former con artist. 

4 STARS



No comments:

Post a Comment