Tuesday, February 18, 2014

RELEASE DAY BLITZ & REVIEW : Taking Something (Give Me Something #2) by Elizabeth Lee


SYNOPSIS

I know what you're thinking. “You were such a jerk, Nick!”  Believe me, I know I screwed up the best thing I had going in my life, but that was kind of my thing. I’d learned how to run cons before I could even form complete sentences, and I'd always been selfish.  But I changed.  Lila forgave me, my brother and I were getting along, and I was trying to make a name for myself in the music world.
 
At least that was what I was trying to do when I negotiated my way into the recording studio with pop superstar Sadie Sinclair. I thought it would be a piece of cake—charm my way into her heart and into her record label's good graces.
 
Just when I thought I had it all figured out, I got mixed up in a web of lies, manipulation, and deception. A web that had me questioning my motives and desires altogether.
 
Was the fame and fortune really worth the price? 

REVIEW:

This was SO good. It's my favorite book that Elizabeth Lee has written. A new FAVORITE, and I'll tell you why...


At the end of Give Me Something, I hated Nick. Hated him so bad that I wanted to serve his man parts up on a shish kabob. I wish I was exaggerating. When I found out that Nick was going to get his own book, I was a little taken aback because NO WAY was I going to love that jerk. NO WAY! I've never been more wrong. In fact, I'm eating my words as a type this because Nick was amazing in this book. His character was so intriguing, funny, crazy, and redeeming! The tin man does indeed have a heart. ;)

"There are two things I know inside, outside and upside down, sir. Music and women. There is not a doubt in my mind that I cannot only please Miss Sinclair, but you also. I just need a shot."


Ok, so maybe it took a little while for the tin man to find his heart, but it's there. I saw it. I promise!

The storyline follows Nick as he chases his career as a music producer. As you know from Give Me Something, Nick does what Nick does best. Con and charm the panties off ladies (at the same time). When he sets his mind to something, he chases it. He doesn't believe in luck; he believes in going after what he wants. In fact, he GETS what he wants because he'll lie, steal, and cheat to get there. Whatever it takes.

"Besides, think of all the cons I can run with a baby."


This go-round Nick wants to be a music producer. He sets his eye on pretty little up-and-coming Sadie Sinclair and is determined to use her to get where he wants. He doesn't expect to develop feelings for Sadie's stunning assistant, Gia, though. This poses quite the problem for Nick because he doesn't need to muddy up the water with Sadie. She could run his career into the toilet, and there wouldn't be a dang thing he could do about it. What do you when the person you love could be the end of your dream? Nick doesn't know. It's always been so simple for him because all he ever cared about was himself. He finds himself in quite the moral predicament because Gia changes everything.

"I didn't have time for women and I certainly didn't have time to care about people."


This book kept me on my toes because there were a ton of little twists and turns. I loved the humor. It was so quick, witty, and sarcastic (the perfect combination, really). It's been awhile since I picked up a book that I couldn't put down, but I found myself reading in every spar moment I had today. Nick won me over BIG TIME. If you're a fan of jerks, you'll eat up everything about Nick. Also, I think you'll love it because there was no magic transformation. Everything happened naturally, and Nick's character grew. I guess I liked it because his character didn't change to fit the storyline. He was just as human as the rest of us (even though he was evil in Give Me Something). In fact, he even found himself a little broken at times. I felt bad for him!!

"The one thing I wanted to give her -- my completely worthless heart -- she'd tossed aside."


This one made my favorites list, so I hope everyone reads it! Taking Something was easy to fall in love with and I can't recommend it highly enough!

P.S. Loved the epilogue. Not over the top. Just perfect.

5 Stars!!


EXCERPT:

Look, I totally get your reservations about me,” I placated her, even though I knew I was more than qualified to produce her album.  It was cookie cutter pop music.  Anyone with half a brain could do it. 
 
“I may not have much experience with actual singers, but I've been mixing music since I was a kid.”
 
You're just a deejay, Nick. And no offense, but that is not the same as a music producer.”
 
You're right.  Spinning records is about playing to a crowd.  Finding that perfect rhythm for any circumstance.  Sometimes they want a carefree club mix to dance around to.  Other times they want a slow, sensual song to grind up on someone to.  I know how to read people and that's beneficial in both cases.  I'm a people pleaser, but I'm also an artist.”
 
How so?”
 
Well, for one I can read you.  I know that you want people to hear a new side of you.  To hear the grown-up version of Sadie Sinclair.”
 
That's not reading me, Nick.  I told you that yesterday,” she replied, crossing her arms over her chest.
 
Yes, you did,” I conceded with a nod.  “But it's not always about what you say.  I can tell by the way you walk—the commanding click of your heels across the floor and the sway of your tight little ass.  You want to sing the kind of music that causes a stir.  You're tired of singing songs about people falling in love and teeny-bopper breakups.  You want to sing songs about people making love. About passion and desire. About longing and fulfillment.”  Her eyes glazed over as she stared into mine.  Her lips parted as she let out a slow, steady breath.
 
I stepped closer to her and reached out, brushing my hand down her arm.  “You want to sing songs that get under people's skin.  Leaves them wanting more.  You want to seduce them with your sound.” 
 
I do,” she answered mindlessly, watching my hand stroke up and down her arm.
 
You don't want to just sing songs, Sadie Sinclair.  You want to sing... sex.”
Her eyes fell shut as she thought about what I was saying.  I was going out on a limb with my assumption.  For all I knew, she wanted to sing gospel hymns to a reggae beat.  Lucky for me, the way she looked at me—like she wanted to eat me alive—was a proper assessment of exactly the kind of person she was. She finally opened her eyes and when she did, I knew I had her on the hook.
 
Okay then, let's hear it,” she insisted, pointing at the computer I was holding in my hand.  “I want to see if you're any good.”
 
“Oh, I assure you that I'm more than just good.”  She was trying to play hardball, but if she thought for one second I didn't see the glimmer of lust in her eyes, she was crazy.  “Take a seat, Miss Sinclair.” I pulled back one of the chairs for her.  She hesitated, like she didn't want to seem too anxious to comply. I fired up my computer and pulled up a folder of tracks I'd been working on.  Careful not to mess up her hair, I slipped a pair of headphones over her ears.
 
She started to protest. “What are you doing?  We can listen to it—”
 
In order to get the full Nick Kline experience, I need to get completely”—I paused leaning in inches from her face—“and totally in your head.”  She breathed me in and relaxed into her chair.  I was one song away from convincing Sadie Sinclair that I was the perfect choice for her.  Musically and more.
 
 
ABOUT ELIZABETH LEE:


When I'm not writing or playing the part of wife and mother, you can find me dancing back-up for Beyonce, singing back-up for Miranda, or sunning myself on the beach with a drink in hand.  Here's the thing about being born and raised in a small town—you have a very vivid imagination!  Now, I channel it all to create stories where the girl always ends up with the right guy, first kisses are magical, and a happy ending is just that!







                                                          

 
GIVEAWAY
 
 

2 comments:

  1. My favorite genre in erotica with a good dose of BDSM...LOL. But I read a little bit of everything...why stick with just one. :) Thank you for a wonderful giveaway

    ReplyDelete