Monday, September 2, 2013

Review: Relentless (Shattered Hearts # 1) by Cassia Leo

Book One in the NEW YORK TIMES and USA TODAY bestselling series.

"Sometimes letting someone go is the ultimate act of love."



Claire Nixon is a college student with a past full of secrets and heartbreak.

At seven years old, the death of her mother by drug overdose destroys her faith in humanity and herself as she is tossed from one foster home to another. Feeling unwanted and disposable, she fights to keep herself safe in the system. Until, at the age of fifteen, she is saved by her first love, and soon-to-be rock star, Chris Knight and his mother, who quickly becomes the mother she always wanted. 



When Claire encourages Chris to leave town to pursue his dreams of musical stardom, both Claire and Chris don't realize this will be the biggest mistake of their lives.



One year after Chris leaves on tour, Claire has carved out a new life for herself in a new city far away from the life she left behind with Chris. On a fateful morning, she meets sexy surfer Adam Parker. 



To Claire, Adam is just another flirty customer at the cafe, until a chance encounter and seemingly innocent comment spurs a bet between them. The bet is simple: If Adam can get Claire to reveal the secret that made her drop out of college and leave her life behind, she has to re-enroll. If he doesn't succeed, she gets to keep her secret and he has to stop stalking her at the cafe.



Claire thinks she has this one in the bag. She's perfected the art of forgetting her past. But she isn't prepared for Adam's relentless pursuit or for him to share his own secrets. And she's definitely not prepared for the love of her life, Chris Knight, and her secret, to come banging down her door one year later.



REVIEWS:

I'm having a book moment.  You know when you're just so caught up in a story that it's taking over your mind! This series is ALL I can think about right now! I'm actually starting book 3, but I wanted to take a moment to review this while I still have it fresh on my mind. I started book 1 yesterday and it is 4:15 p.m. the next day and I just finished book 2! That is how you know I'm reading a good series. I haven't been this caught up in a series in awhile. You know what the best part is???? ALL THREE BOOKS ARE OUT! There is no waiting game. The cliffhangers don't matter because you can get the next book RIGHT NOW! The books aren't super long. I think my kindle says they take about 4 1/2 hours to read...if that. It just depends on how many breaks you take. I admittedly tortured myself and didn't take bathroom breaks because I'm that crazy.

I went into this blind and didn't read many reviews, so a lot of this caught be by surprise. This isn't a typical love triangle book.  This book really focuses more on Claire and Adam's relationship than anything else. Claire's big secret doesn't come out until the end and it changes everything. Chris, Claire's first love, is in the background of the story, but he doesn't play a HUGE role until the end.  Even though Adam was more present in the story, I fell head over heels for Chris. Here's my rant from right after I finished the book:

This not a review. I'll review it later, but right now I just want to rant about my feelings. AHHH! My feelings! I'm not sure I'm going to get my happily ever after in this series and that is seriously stressing me out. This was an awesome book. I couldn't put it down. The bad part is...I think I'm in love with the wrong guy. I don't know. I haven't read reviews and I don't want to spoil it for myself, but ugggghh. I'm in love with CHRIS! I think I'm supposed to love Adam. Adam's a great guy. Super sweet. BUT the chemistry for me is with Chris and Claire. Chris and Claire. Chris and Claire. That's what I want. That's my happy ending. If I don't get it, I'm going to cry! Sob. Cry. Scream. Break things.

I'm reading the second book in the series right now! All my crazy feelings aside, this book was crazy addicting for me and I LOVED IT!


Obviously, you know where I stand with my feelings! HAHA! I'm very passionate about this! There is no need for me to summarize the book because the synopsis does a really fine job of that. I just can't wait to find out what happens. Am I going to get my HEA? Let me know if you are Team Chris or Team Adam.

Claire to Chris:

"You didn't take me into your home five years ago, Chris; you were my home. When I lost you, I lost everything."

Claire to Adam:

"I'll be gentle. I wouldn't want to crush my favorite olive."

My review of book 2 will follow!

MY RATING: 5 STARS (+++++)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment