Saturday, July 13, 2013

Review: The Elite (Eagle Elite #1) by Rachel Van Dyken



When I won the annual Eagle Elite College Scholarship lottery, I was thrilled. After all, my grandma had just died and I wanted to take care of my aging grandpa -- he couldn't be a farmer in Wyoming forever. And graduating from Eagle Elite meant opportunity.

But I wasn't counting on meeting Nixon.

Nor was I counting on the rules of the Elect.

1. Do not touch The Elect.
2. Do not look at The Elect.
3. Do not speak to The Elect.

And worst of all? D
on't discover the secret they hide, because in the end, you may just realize... it's about you.

*This is a New Adult Book, blood, violence, cursing, sexual references, and drug use. Not recommended for those under 17.*


 
Review:

Unique, Fresh, & Original!

At the beginning of Elite, I had no idea what was going on. All I knew was that I HAD to find out. Even worse, I HAD to know right then, so of course I didn’t stop reading until I finished. <-- and that’s the reason you see those 5 stars up there!

 


*spoiler free*

The main character, Trace, wins a contest that gets her accepted into a prominent and exclusive college. She’s a farm girl and way out of her element. The other students at the college are way different from anyone she’s ever been around. Especially…The Elect. As soon as she steps out of the car, members of the Elect, Nixon and Chase, lay down a few ground rules that they say Trace must follow:
1. Do not touch The Elect.
2. Do not look at the Elect.
3. Do not speak to the Elect.

Say what?!? I know, who died and made them The Volturi? Even worse, here they are barking orders at her and you know what she’s thinking…???
Oh gosh, I have officially died and gone to magazine model hell.
Stupid
hormones.

Initially, she ignores the rules and, in return, suffers from some pretty severe bullying. She has to turn to the only person that can protect her. Nixon. Jerk. He’s infuriating in the beginning! You’ll want to punch him in the throat. Junkpunch him. Sucker punch him. Basically, you’re going to want to punch him any way you can. Then you’re going to love him. But, don’t worry, he’s going to make you want drop kick him again. I’m not kidding. His actions really brought some violent thoughts to my mind.

The whole time I was reading this, I was wondering what the hell was going on. Nixon was a pretty good distraction though, and I found myself falling under his spell more than once. Some of the stuff that happened throughout the book seemed a little far out. Like, no way would that actually happen in real life. So, I started to wonder… Is this paranormal? I don’t think this is labeled paranormal. What is happening? Who are the Elect? And that thought process pretty much ran through my head on repeat until the very end. By the way, it’s not paranormal.

The only problem with reviewing this book is that I can’t give you a good summary. I can’t tease you. I can’t tell you anything, because I’d ruin it. What makes this book so intriguing is the unknown. So, read the blurb and go in blind. This is a book that you need to read when you are looking for something different. It’s something to go for when you want to veer away from the steamy reads. Nixon is a sexy male lead and there are some make-out sessions, but nothing too steamy.

You are in for a ride when you start reading this. It doesn’t end with a cliffhanger, but if you are really sensitive to cliffhangers, you shouldn’t read the sneak peak at the end. I am on the edge of my seat waiting for Elect to come out.
My rating: 4.5 stars
 
Reviewed by: 
 
 
AUTHOR LINKS
 
Rachel Van Dyken
 

No comments:

Post a Comment