Saturday, March 15, 2014

REVIEW: Sugar Daddy (The Travis Family #1) by Lisa Kleypas

 
SHE'S FROM THE WRONG SIDE OF THE TRACKS
Liberty Jones has dreams and determination that will take her far away from Welcome, Texas---if she can keep her wild heart from ruling her mind. Hardy Cates sees Liberty as completely off-limits. His own ambitions are bigger than Welcome, and Liberty Jones is a complication he doesn't need. But something magical and potent draws them to each other, in a dangerous attraction that is stronger than both of them.

HE'S THE ONE MAN SHE CAN'T HAVE
When Hardy leaves town to pursue his plans, Liberty finds herself alone with a young sister to raise. Soon Liberty finds herself under the spell of a billionaire tycoon---a Sugar Daddy, one might say. But the relationship goes deeper than people think, and Liberty begins to discover secrets about her own family's past.

WILL THEY FIND THEIR HEARTS' DESIRES OR WILL HEARTBREAK TEAR THEM APART?
Two men. One woman. A choice that can make her or break her. A woman you'll root for every step of the way. A love story you'll never forget.
 
BUY: AMAZON 
   
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/306364.Sugar_Daddy?from_search=true
 

I read a good book! You know what's so cool about it? It was a traditionally published book, and it's been so long since I read one of those. I found myself craving a well developed contemporary romance, and Lisa Kleypas is the author that was recommended to me the most. I can't believe it's my first book by her (it won't be my last)! In fact, I think I'm addicted to her. I've looked up every book she has listed on Goodreads. I found her website. I googled her. Pretty much if it's Lisa Kleypas related, I've been all over it the last couple of days. I'm a fan!

"Dating is like trying to make a meal out of leftovers. Some leftovers, like meat loaf or banana pudding, actually get better when they've had a little time to mature. But others, like doughnuts or pizza, should be thrown out right away. No matter how you try to warm them up, they're never as good as when they were new. I had been hoping Tom would be turn out to be a meatloaf instead of a pizza."

So... that quote is a little out of place in this review because it doesn't come into play until halfway through the book, but it's funny, so I wanted to share! There are lots of funny quotes like that thrown into the book. There's one part where she calls this Tom fella a 68. I'll let your imagination run wild with that one until you read the book because it's hilarious when you get to that part. I was laughing so hard that my side was hurting. I mean... if that's a "thing", I had certainly never heard of it before. And if it wasn't a thing, it is now!! I will never forget it.

One thing to keep in mind about this book is that it's very much a coming-of-age story. It starts when Liberty is very young. I think she was 14 (but don't hold me to that). The first third of the book is spent going through her childhood. She had a rough time and it's very important to the development of her character. I will admit that I feel like it was a bit long at first and somewhat slow, but once it picked up -- it picked up and I was HOOKED. The writing is very good and  this series is really set up to be an all time favorite of mine. It's too early to say that for sure because I'm only just starting Blue Eyed Devil (#2), but I'm almost certain that I'm going to love it even more than this book.

The romance aspect of the book really picks up in the last half of the book. I really LOVED it. That said, if you're in it for the lovemaking then you're going to be a little deprived for a huge portion of the book.  Is it a triangle? Um, I guess, but not really. It's a triangle for a very brief time, and it's really not that big of a triangle. Nothing too intense but still really good. Don't run scared because of the triangle aspect. You'll regret it! Anyways, if you haven't read this, you should! After I finish this series, I'm going to try out some of her historical romances. I might stay hooked on the Travis' forever and ever though!

Because of the slow start, I have to go with 4 stars, but part of my heart wants to give it 5 because I loved it so hard by the end of the book!

4 Stars
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment