Sunday, March 16, 2014

MINI REVIEW: Bad Things (Tristan and Danika #1) by R.K. Lilley


Bad Things (Tristan & Danika, #1) 


Danika hasn’t had an easy life. Being insanely attracted to bad boys has never helped make it easier.

One look at Tristan, and every brain cell she possessed went up in smoke. This man was trouble with a capital T. It was a given.
She knew better. Bad boys were bad. Especially for her. Considering her history, it was crazy to think otherwise. So why did crazy have to feel so damn fine?

For as long as she could remember, Danika had been focused on the future with single-minded purpose. Tristan came along and taught her everything there was to know about letting go, and living in the present. She fell, hard and deep. Of course, that only made her impact with the ground that much more devastating.

Bad Things is about Tristan and Danika, and their train wreck of a love story. This series can be read as a standalone, or with the Up in the Air series.
 
 
BUY: AMAZON 
   
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17377032-bad-things
 

Coming from an Up in the Air hater... I LOVED TRISTAN AND DANIKA!

"Then I give you my drunk permission to ignore whatever the sober me tells you. You should like the drunk me better, anyway, because I like you more than the sober me does."
Hehe!! ^^^^ Love that!

I had NO intention of reading this book. I loathed Up in the Air. Really hated it. It did nothing for me.  So what changed my mind? I was searching for something to read, and with the release of Lovely Trigger there was a lot of buzz around the series. I read some reviews and noticed that most people really loved it, and the people that didn't love it said that "Tristan was no Mr. Cavendish." I thought, "bad for you - good for me" because I didn't like Mr. Cavendish!!

"I didn't have to look forward with Tristan. I lived in the present, and I loved it."

The book is about a girl named Danika who is a live-in nanny. She meets Tristan when her boss allows him to stay at their home for a little while. Danika immediately knows that Tristan is Trouble with a capital T. Very early on they both come to the realization that Tristan only does casual hookups, and Danika only does committed relationships. They come to an agreement that they are "just friends" because it will ruin their friendship if it goes any further than that. We all know how "just friends" usually turn out though...

The sexual tension in the first half of the book is A+ quality. I was hanging on to every page. It was refreshing because I've been a little burned out on the sexual stuff in books. I think that it's little overdone at times, but this book was so deliciously scorching. Every scene was hot, and I was so invested in the relationship that I devoured every word!

"Tell me not to kiss you." he said, when his lips were a breath away from mine.
"Don't kiss me," I told him, my voice a breathless rasp.
"Mean it," he said, crowding me into the corner of the pool.
He tilted my chin up with his finger.
"I can't," I gasped
The words had barely left my lips before he was kissing me.

I'd say that my love for the book waned just a little, tiny bit in the last half. Some of the tension died down, and I was a little sad about that. There was definitely enough drama to go around throughout the whole book, but felt like what went on in the last half was a little predictable and lacking the KABOOM shock factor that I love. That said, I was definitely invested in the story the whole time and really, really liked it.

The book doesn't end with a relationship cliffhanger, so am I dying to get my hands on Rock Bottom? Meh, not really. But I might read it anyways. I hear that's emotionally exhausting, and I'm a little curious to see where their relationship goes.

4 Stars 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment