Saturday, March 8, 2014

REVIEW: A Matter of Heart (Fate #2) by Heather Lyons


17261347No longer in high school, Chloe Lilywhite is now living and working in Annar, the Magicals’ city-state plane of existence. Since moving, she’s joined the Council, gone on missions with the Guard, moved into her own apartment, and enrolled at the University of Annar. Plus, she’s happily engaged to be married to Jonah Whitecomb, the literal man from her dreams, not to mention her Connection. While she still struggles with aspects of her craft, Chloe feels like she’s finally coming into her own, especially after a difficult year that had her questioning nearly everything in her life.

After a brutal attack by the Elders, her life is turned upside down once more. Accusations fly throughout the Council and Guard, forcing Chloe to confront her worst fears about what’s she’s capable of as a Creator. And then there’s the matter of Kellan Whitecomb, Jonah’s twin brother and Chloe’s ex, who resurfaces after disappearing months before. Although Chloe chose Jonah, and despite their best efforts, the two find it hard to stay away from one another.

But no matter what Fate throws at her, Chloe is determined to take charge of her life, even as it begins to spiral out of control.

*This is a New Adult title, suitable for readers 18+.



 
 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17261347-a-matter-of-heart?from_search=true




"Sometimes love requires risk. I love them. I love them both. And now I need to love them enough to let them go. It's the only chance they have."

I thought the last book was heart wrenching... Well, apparently I didn't know what heart wrenching was because this book was HEART WRENCHING. It was way more intense than A Matter of Fate and let me tell you, A Matter of Fate was no cake walk. I spent this whole book in emotional distress. I was heart-broken, heart-shattered, and heart-crushed the whole time. In an effort to be as vague as possible (to avoid spoilers), I'll just say that since book one ended on a happy note, I was floating on cloud nine when I started reading this. ECSTATIC. It only took a few chapters for me to figure out that things were going to be a little more complicated than I anticipated.

Heartbreak aside, this was an absolutely phenomenal read. I can't think of another series that has evoked this many desperate emotions in me. This is a love triangle that's a little tricky because both guys are AWESOME guys. Both guys love Chloe with everything they have. I do prefer one of them to the other FOR HER, and I found myself getting very angry with her every time she potentially  hurt MY guy. That doesn't mean that I wasn't feeling the other guy's heartbreak too. Which is kind of ironic because that's exactly what was happening to Chloe. Because of her connections with Jonah and Kellan, she was feeling everything I felt except it was multiplied. There were times that I was infuriated with her, but then I had to realize that she was in a precarious position. I don't envy her at all. Well, ok, maybe I do a little. These guys are seriously something to be envious of. I'm just not envious of her Connections with them.

It became clear to me that there wasn't going to be an easy way out of this situation for her. If I were in her position, I can't say that I wouldn't have made the decision she made at the end. Everything she was facing was completely overwhelming, and I think she made the only decisions she knew how to make. I'm not going to tell you how it ends, but I will tell you to have book three, A Matter of Truth, ready and waiting for you when you finish this one. You're going to want to dive right in!

I was living this as I read it. This series will literally transport you to another world. You will find yourself completely wrapped up in the highs and lows of these relationships. You'll fall in love with the secondary characters (I have hearts in my eyes for Karl), and you'll become emotionally invested in their lives. You'll be happy and sad at the same time. It'll mess with your head, but it's worth every heart-breaking moment. Along with all the heart break comes very witty banter.  It's intense, sexy, panic-inducing... it really just has all the feels. And beside the love triangle is a very unique magical world that I can't get enough of!  This series is at the very tip top of my recommendation list mountain. Please read it!!

More than 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment