Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Review: Tangled by Emma Chase

(Tangled series, book 1)
Drew Evans is a winner. Handsome and arrogant, he makes multi-million dollar business deals and seduces New York's most beautiful women with just a smile. He has loyal friends and an indulgent family. So why has he been shuttered in his apartment for seven days, miserable and depressed? 

He'll tell you he has the flu. 

But we all know that's not really true. 

Katherine Brooks is brilliant, beautiful and ambitious. She refuses to let anything - or anyone - derail her path to success. When Kate is hired as the new associate at Drew's father's investment banking firm, every aspect of the dashing playboy's life is thrown into a tailspin. The professional competition she brings is unnerving, his attraction to her is distracting, his failure to entire her into his bed is exasperating. 

Then, just when Drew is on the cusp of having everything he wants, his overblown confidence threatens to ruin it all. Will he be able to untangle his feelings of lust and tenderness, frustration and fulfillment? Will he rise to the most important challenge of his life? 

Can Drew Evans win at love?

Tangled is not your mother's romance novel. It is an outrageous, passionate, witty narrative about a man who knows a lot about women...just not as much as he thinks he knows. As he tells his story, Drew learns the one thing he never wanted in life, is the only thing he can't live without. 

*******


Holy Frigging Hell.

I love Drew Evans. Not just in that cute “Oh, he’s on my book boyfriend list” kind of way. In a horribly inappropriate, insanely over-the-frigging-top, need-him-to-be-real-and-live-in-Kansas-and-want-to-marry-a-girl-who-looks-exactly-like-me kind of way. It’s almost sickening how much I not only adore him, but how much I fell in love with this story and everyone that came along with it.

Tangled is far from your typical romance novel. It’s told from Drew’s POV the whoooole way through and let me tell y’all something; it is like a breath of fresh frigging air. There is no sugarcoating, there is no beat around the bush, there is no mindless whining; there is a guy simply telling you how it is. Here are just a few of my favorite Drew-velations:

"If a guy you just met at a club calls you baby, sweetheart, angel, or any other generic endearment? Don’t make the mistake of thinking he’s so into you, he’s already thinking up pet names. It’s because he can’t or doesn’t care to remember your actual name."

"The thing women don’t understand is that a guy can want one woman and still fuck another one."

"No man wants to fuck a skeleton – and nibbling crackers and water like a prisoner of war at dinner isn’t attractive. It just makes s think about what a cranky bitch you’re going to be later on because you’re starving. If a guys into you? A cheeseburger deluxe is not going to scare him away."

"Newsflash, ladies: We can’t read your thoughts. And frankly, I’m not entirely sure I’d want to. The female mind is a scary place to be. Men? We don’t leave a lot of room for doubt: You’re a dick. You fucked my girlfriend. You killed my dog. I hate you. Direct. Clear. Unambiguous. You girls should try it sometime. It would bring us all one step closer to world peace."

Gah, I have to stop! There are so many highlighted parts of this book that it took me almost 20 minutes to force myself to just pick four to share with y’all. So there, now you have an idea of the kind of man we’re dealing with in this story. He’s to the point, a little crass, and utterly frigging hysterical. Why is all that shit so funny? Because it’s 100 perfect true! Now, whether you want to admit that it’s true…well…that’s a whole other can of worms ;)

It’s not just Drew’s narrative that makes this story delightful. It’s Kate. It’s Mackenzie. It’s Matthew. It’s Stephen. It’s The Bitch. (Yep, you read that right. The Bitch). All of the other characters in this book are perfect. I love that Kate is a smart, driven, I’ll-stomp-on-you-with-my-4-inch-heels-to-get-to-where-I-want-to-be, type of woman. Let’s all just say it together; strong women rock. And when you put her and Drew together??? Fahget about it. (I think that’s supposed to be a Boston accent…whatever.) They are by far one of my favorite book couples, and the fact that I love Kate juuust about as much as I love Drew should tell you something. They’re simply incredible characters that I love to frigging love. Are they frustrating at times? Duh. What characters aren’t?! There was a point in this story where I wanted to punch Drew in his penis. (I was mad, okay?) But as much as I hated him in that moment, I still felt for him. How is that even possible!? Don’t ask because I don’t have an answer. Oh wait! Yes, I do! The answer is that Emma Chase is a FRIGGING GENIUS.

Emma’s writing is top notch, and how she managed to get inside the mind of a man like Drew and put him on paper is something else. She has written the most accurate portrayal of a male POV to date, and I don’t know how I went this long without experiencing the story of Drew and Kate. I could talk and talk and talk about Tangled but for your sake, I’ll wrap this up. It’s hilarious, adorable, hot as fuck, and one of the best novels I’ve read TO FRIGGING DATE. Yep. Let that soak in. Do your ovaries a favor and get inside the mind of Drew Evans…like, right now. 

MY RATING: 5 STARS





Reviewed by:

No comments:

Post a Comment