Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Book Review: Come Alive (The Cityscape Series #2) by Jessica Hawkins

 
 
**Please don't read this review unless you have read Come Undone (The Cityscape Series #1) because there will be major spoilers in this review if you have not read the first book yet.  My review of Come Undone (The Cityscape Series #1)
 
"I guess I just don't know when everything happened. I don't remember choosing this. I knew it would eventually come to this, me on the brink of my life, about to dive in, but I expected to be more ready." 

Talk about intense! I was a big ball of nerves throughout this whole book. Constantly wondering what Liv was going to choose for herself drove me mad! I was worried that once she finally chose, it would be too late. I felt like a bad girl for being the little devil on her shoulder that was pushing her to do the "bad" thing. Personally, I think it was the best thing, but you'll have to decide for yourself. Once again, I read straight through because the anxiety just wouldn't let me stop. This series seems to just get better and better because this book blew book 1 out of the water! And that's saying something because I loved book 1.

"You make this decision, and we're in it together. I will be your shield." 

If you read book 1 then you know what this series is about, so I'm through giving warnings about that. It's not for everyone I suppose, but it's definitely for me. There's a fine line between fiction and reality. Remember that. Plus, life isn't black and white and if you live it like it is then you're missing out. If Liv didn't make a decision for herself -- soon -- she would have lived a very unsatisfying life. That's just a depressing thought, right?

So, book one left off with Liv running away from David, and this book pretty much picks up right after that.  Liv's heartache for David bled into me, and I could hardly stand it. This book is the decision maker for Liv. That decision isn't made early on though. Actually, you're going to have to wait til the very end for that.  Most of the book is focused on Liv's back and forth between what she wants to do and what she feels like she should do.  Stay with Bill, the guy she vowed to live forever with and remain a mediocre marriage -- or -- Be with David, the guy she can truly be herself  around  and live a passionate life with. She's torn by her own morals. She knows that if she goes with her heart, she'll lose everything while at the same time gaining everything. She's scared of a what a future with David may hold. She's lost in her own head about whether or not his intentions are pure or if she'll ruin her marriage and end up alone in the long run. It. Was. Exhausting. But so good! :)

"I want to see you with someone you love so much, you can't bear it."

David was just.... what's the word... oh yeah, perfect. I felt for him in this book. This book made me feel. At one point I was literally saying "Please, please, just give in. Be bad" Haha. I'm so not ashamed. That said, there are some moments where I did feel a little guilty. Ok, I felt really guilty. I'm not envious of Liv's position. At all. But I felt like Liv had some maturing to do in the relationship area (due to her past), and she had no business marrying Bill in the first place.

Anyway, there's really not much else I can say aside from gushing about book 3. Yeah, I already finished. I know that was against my rules for this year. I was supposed to review after every book I finished before moving on to the next book, but this book broke the rules. Why can't I? It's a good thing y'all. I loved it so much that I just couldn't stop reading (and yes book 3 is phenomenal and yes I'll review it next). This series is sitting at the top of my reading recommendation list right now! If you're bored of the same old, same old cookie cutter romance novels, this series is a fantastic way to throw yourself a curve ball!

 5 stars!
 
 
...
Other books in the series
 
Come Undone  (The Cityscape series #1) 
BUY: Kindle I Paperback
 
Come Together (The Cityscape series #3) 
BUY: Kindle I Paperback 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment