Monday, August 19, 2013

REVIEW: Axel (CORPS Security #1) by Harper Sloan

Note from the author--This book is intended for a mature reading audience and isn't suitable for younger readers. Brash language, sexual hotness, delectable alpha males, some violence and adult situations are all over this book--you have been warned.

Fate hasn’t always been friends with Isabelle West. In fact, fate has been a downright bitch.

Isabelle has learned the hard way how hard life can be when fate isn’t by your side. It can hand you dreams on silver platters, but it can snatch them right back and hand you nightmares. One thing Isabelle knew for sure fate was consistent with was taking away everything she ever loved.

For the last two years Isabelle has been slowly clearing the clouds of her past. Happiness is finally on the horizon. She has a thriving business, great friends, and her life back. All she has to do is jump over the last hurdle…her ex-husband.

When problems start causing her to fear her new life, and memories that are better left forgotten start rushing to the surface the last thing she needs is a ghost from her past to come knocking on her door.

Axel never thought he would look into the eyes of Isabelle West again, and he wasn’t sure he wanted to now. He’s carried his anger for so long he isn’t sure he can just turn it off, but when he is faced with protecting her and an unexpected desire to have her again, life gets a little more complicated.

How will Axel and Isabelle deal when all their cards are put on the table and everything they thought was true blows up in their faces?


REVIEW:

I am so depressed this book is over! I would start reading book 2 right now if I could. But I can’t. Because it’s not out. And that’s depressing. Humphhh!

[INSERT ME STICKING OUT BOTTOM LIP]


Watch out Hot Bunch (Kristen Ashley-Rock Chick) there’s a new security company in town! Full of alphas! So many of them too! SO MANY! *squeal*

*Ok. So maybe it was a little far-fetched at times. I didn’t mind. You keep your vamps and werewolves and I’ll keep my ripped, sexy, cavemanish alphas. That is OK with me!

*And maybe it was a little dirty at times. I really didn’t mind that. Talk dirty to me, Axel. I lOvE it when you talk dirty to me!

*And yes, the writing was similar to Kristen Ashley’s, but guess what? I didn’t mind that either! I mean, so what? We can sit here and compare books to other authors all day. For those of us that read a lot, some books are going to have little nuances that remind you of other books. That doesn’t mean it’s a copycat. The story definitely stood on its own. I devoured it!

It’s about young love that is torn apart. Axel was supposed to come back and marry Izzy after he finished basic training, but things go way wrong. Twisted things happen. Kinda stupid things happen and they don’t see each other for 12 years. You heard me! 12 freaking years! Soooo, life goes on. Izzy gets herself into an abusive marriage. She barely makes it out of that train wreck with her life and dignity intact. She is lucky to have her friends, Dee and Greg, to help her out of the deep depression she’s in. She’s fighting a lot of demons and relies heavily on those two. When they take her out for her birthday one night, the last person she expects to see is Axel. She thought he was gone. Like gone, gone. She also doesn’t expect him to be pissed. REALLY PISSED. At her. *sigh* He’s so hot when he’s pissed!

They have a lot of crap to sort out and Izzy’s already in a mess, so their personal issues get put on the back burner for awhile, but when things heat up…they heat up to scorching!

“When he turns back around, I quickly jerk my eyes up to meet his, which sparkle with amusement. I was just busted checking out his very nice ass.

He smirks.
I blush.
He winks.
I lick my lips.
His smile is instantly wiped from his face and a long and low groan fills the silence between us.
I smirk.
And just like that, he’s on me”


It was hot, it was funny, it was intense, fast paced= everything I love about a book. It totally suited my mood. I LOVED IT. Recommend it to my Kristen Ashley buds. I’m really excited about this series!! I love all my CORPS guys, but , gotta say, I cannot wait for Maddox’s story. You will love Maddox!

MY RATING: 4.5
 



No comments:

Post a Comment