Sunday, April 13, 2014

REVIEW: Mud Vein by Tarryn Fisher

 



When reclusive novelist Senna Richards wakes up on her thirty-third birthday, everything has changed. Caged behind an electrical fence, locked in a house in the middle of the snow, Senna is left to decode the clues to find out why she was taken. If she wants her freedom, she has to take a close look at her past. But, her past has a heartbeat…and her kidnapper is nowhere to be found. With her survival hanging by a thread, Senna soon realizes this is a game. A dangerous one. Only the truth can set her free
BUY: AMAZON 
   




Ouch!! That stung!

This book has been stirring the pot this week! And I have to say that I liked the taste of it. In the spirit of full disclosure, I will say that the book has a bitter taste. The author even wrote a letter to her readers, so I strongly advise you to take the disclaimer for what it is.  If you read The Opportunist series then you know that Tarryn Fisher's writing style can be a bit sour, but you should also know that this book is a different bird. It's not going to appeal to all of the readers in her current audience. If you are a reader that wants heavy romance or a nice HEA, this is not for you and that's ok. Don't force yourself to read a book that's not your style. However, if psychologically twisty things intrigue your mind, this is SO for you (and me!). Yay!

Guys!! The writing!! Impeccable. I totally loved it. I thought it was incredibly engaging. I NEVER got bored. I was really just so caught up in the quirkiness of the main character's personality that I couldn't tear my eyes from the book. It was so obvious to me that the author paid really close attention to detail, and I found myself doing the same thing. I took my time reading and tried to commit every little nuance of the story to memory.

The story is written in sections so there are little time jumps, and I thought they were clever. I thought the whole thing was clever. The whole time I was itching to know who, what, where, and why. It's not really suspenseful, but more of a mystery. Really it's meant to mess with your head and get you thinking. I'm really big into psychological stuff.

For me, this is an easy 5 star read. I really, really liked it. Many of my friends didn't though and that's why I'm pointing out the disclaimer. I think that the feel of the story was similar to Gone Girl's. I felt very similar feelings about the end of Gone Girl as I felt about this book's ending. The end is pretty sour and non-traditional, but a traditional ending just wouldn't work with this storyline.

I thought it was brilliant. I was impressed. Plain and simple.

5 Stars
 

No comments:

Post a Comment